Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Grafter: Frederique Morrel


Hi Everyone, welcome back to my Grafters series. If you missed the two previous posts I featured Shannon South of reMade USA and Carolina Fontoura Alzaga. Today I would like to introduce you to Frederique Morrel.


I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of taxidermy. It just seems a bit gross and gory. But that was before I discovered Frederique Morrel˙s marvelous work. Her sense of humor gets me initially, and then the upcycling element or "decycling," as she puts it, grabs my attention next. I so enjoy her work. It makes me giggle and stand in awe. She's truly an original!


Vintage tapestries are gathered by family and friends to fit fiberglass taxidermy molds that have been injected with expanding foam. Realistic details such as teeth, tongue, hooves and ears are finished with resin or latex and then airbrushed. Real antlers, discovered by her "horny" husband, are fixed to the head and then the entire mold is covered with the vintage tapestries.


The special ingredients and materials she uses tell stories of simple and ideal happiness. These enchanting heirlooms have elevated taxidermy to a new level and I would love to have one of her works in any part of my home! Hope you are as taken with her as I am!


This is Frederique Morrel.  She began this quest after being troubled by the fact that her grandmother's needlework was discarded when she passed away. Ever since, she has been obsessed with the idea of making them come back to life, obsessed with the redemption of her grandmother's ardent work.




And this is Aaron Levin.  He is the guardian of the Frederique Morrel brand. He is often on the lookout for rare tapestries.  And together this power couple has taken on the task of re-enchanting the world. And, in my opinion, the stories told through these marvelous works of art have more than accomplished that goal.


Every piece is one-of-a-kind.



Meet Tony and Eva.

Images courtesy Frederique Morrel.

Follow my blog with bloglovin

4 comments:

The Vintique Object said...

This is totally bizarre. And that's a compliment.

WishIhadhertalenT said...

Frederique is amazing. I especially love the manequins! The Grafter Series is way cool, by the way!

Bohemian said...

What a fun Artist... love her Pillow creation, I'd totally buy that!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Helga said...

OMG how incredible!!!
A friend of mine is a taxidermist,so I think she'll love this take on it too!
:)