Recent Posts

Monday, August 17, 2009

I'll Take a Baked Potato - Hold the Sour Cream and Cheese


Camping hit my family pretty hard in the 1970s. Camping is one of the "Six Wonders of My Universe," the other five being the word Thesaurus (Is there another word for it?), Cured Ham (What disease did it have?), the word Lisp (That was kinda mean to put an "s" in the word - don'cha think?!), the Alphabet (Why is it in that order?), and Cows (Can they laugh? And if so, does milk shoot out of their noses?)

When I was a little girl, my younger sister and I called Airstream trailers "baked potatoes" because of their obvious resemblance to how a russet potato looks when wrapped in foil before being placed in the oven for baking. I take my actual baked potato with everything on it - because being overly indulgent and unhealthy is all part of my mystique - it's practically written into my irreverent blogger job description. Its listed right after "Is this woman on medication?" and just before, "I hope she has a good attorney!"


Dorothy: Fine artist Sarah Pratt stuck to a theme inspired by the Wizard of Oz's heroine's dress and carried it through to the smallest detail. Every surface of this trailer is covered in light blue and white polka dots

As an adult I have an unexplainable need to own an Airstream and fix it up with some quirky, fun paint and upholstery and stuff. I periodically just put the word "Airstream" or "vintage Airstream" into Google and see what comes up. On Sunday evening I came across some great inspiration via The Grand Daddy Hotel in Cape Town, Africa. I would gladly camp if I were offered accommodations in any of these "Baked Potatoes!"


Goldilocks and the Three Bears: This trailer by Mark and Joe Stead is the only one that comes with a bunk bed. And, of course, the closet is stocked with plushy bear suits!

Mark Stead has a great video on his YouTube channel you can find here.

The Grand Daddy Hotel believes that luxury shouldn’t exclude playfulness. That conviction is perfectly illustrated in its "penthouse" trailer park. A collection of vintage Airstream caravans are nestled beneath the backdrop of Table Mountain. Each of the 7 two-sleeper trailer suites have been conceptualized and designed by local artists and makes for an accommodation destination like no other.

My "unexplainable" has turned into an "Unreasonable stalker-esque" need!


Love of Lace: Tracy Lynch utilizing her favorite color pink to create an extremely feminine boudoir.


Pleasantville: Liam Mooney, the creative director of WhatiftheWorld as well as the creative director of the Penthouse Park project, decorated his trailer as a 50s style home. Using colors and fabrics from that era. He even stocked the bookcase with mid century cheesy romantic novels!


Afro Funk: Carla Soudien was inspired by the street fashion of Cape Town, South Africa


The Ballad of John & Yoko: Tasmin Relly, Cara Rose and Chloe Townsend dedicated their trailer to the most iconic couple John Lennon and Yoko Ono and their 1969 Bed-In for Peace. The bed that takes up 3/4 of the entire space and is accessorized with a few simple items, like a guitar, some records, and a few books.


Earthcote Moontides: Susan Woodley's and Brigitte Dewberry's ethereal trailer is all about taking trek. Pearly, luminescent textures and muted earth tones lend to this trailer's dreamy existence.

All photos courtesy of The Grand Daddy Hotel.

Follow my blog with bloglovin

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that his would be decorated in a way that would make it be Blog-Worthy, but doesn't Matthew McCaunaghey have an Airstream parked near the beach in So. California? It probably features a decor of Bong(os) and .......!

Instead, I like the ones you've featured from atop the Grand Daddy Hotel. My favorites are the Afro Punk and Moontides Airstreams.

Aren't there also some on property at the Texas Rose in Warrenton?

Heather said...

Wow. Your blog has so much eye candy for me! I'll be spending a while here...

loved your home tour, too!

Floss said...

Stunning! Have you seen the blog Happy Loves Rosie, with her tiny Holivan which has just been done up in Vintage Brtish Kitsch style? (I can't think of a better description - you probably could.)

I'm off to read some more of your posts now...

Anne Marie said...

I saw you following the farm, and wanted to say hey....

your blog is rockin' with lots of great stuff....especially the alice in wonderland camper-
oh man - the parties in there!

mimi charmante said...

How much do I love these campers??? they are right up there on my wish list for a guest space when people visit the farm...
xo

Unknown said...

Hi, What a great blog you have! So many great pics, I love the way they have decked out those Airstreams.
x

Cavania said...

Loving the trailers, it's the blue and white polka dots for me.

Unknown said...

Such a great blog! I am trying to follow you but keep getting an error :( I will put you on my side bar as well.


These are seriously my way of camping...I would hang in it parked even in front of my home... Adorable.

I also read your wonderful interview at sfgirlbybay. Adorable home you have and great taste.

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Oh my goodness, the first one might send me a bit crazy, but I do love some of them ...we had one in Las Vegas and drove all over the U.S in it, but it wasn't decorated quite like the ones you have shown...I think that they are wonderful. Thanks so much for dropping in to see me and following me. I'm off to follow you now!!! XXXX

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

Hi again...I have had those photos for a while and didn't know where I had got them from but I love that house so much. A few people have told me that it's Robin Browns house of Magnolia Pearl and I tried to edit my post to acknowledge it was her house, and I lost all the pictures. !!!..that's typical of me, hopeless!!!Anyway, someone told me of her book, A Bit of Velvet and a Dash of Lace and I bought it today from Amazon. They only had one left so it was obviously meant to be mine!!! I felt a bit bad about the post but everyone assures me that it's fine.

Alicia ~ Time Worn Style said...

Thanks for visiting my blog LeAnn! Love the camper vans, think I like the spotty one the best although it would probably drive me slowly insane if I lived in it ;0) Have to share my favourite word re. six wonders of the universe ~ conundrum, say it out loud. a good one eh :0))
Alicia ~ time worn style

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh wow, what crazy vans! Some of them are kinda cool though, I love your description of a baked potato!

Cheers for taking time to come to The Attic, so nice of you. Really hope you continue to get something out of the posts ;o

xoxox

Unknown said...

Thanks everyone for the great enthusiastic comments!

Bohemianwhimsey said...

Love the "baked potatoes" you featured, especially the pinkish one !!! ............ I wonder if I can prey for one ?
LOVE LOVE your blog , you're such a creative writer :)

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

These are fantastic! Like you, I'm in love with vintage Airstreams. I had seen a couple of these perusing the web searching for images (like you), and even did a post some time ago. I can't get enough Airstream! Thanks for this awesome post!

Tamara Jansen said...

I am afraid I may have caught the airstream bug! Love your post :)